Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A new January


























"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." -Irish proverb


I stumbled across that saying years ago and it has traveled with me, scrawled on a scrap of paper, from the bulletin board of my tiny apartment in Austin, TX, to my even tinier apartments in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and now to the bulletin board of my slightly less tiny home in Colorado.

I've always enjoyed imagining my life as a children's book illustrator. Its easy to IMAGINE making beautiful illustrations and beautfiul books and having a big, busy, successful career. But the DOING... sometimes the doing requires a bit of a nudge from that scrap of paper.

And now, after being laid off at the beginning of December due to the sluggish economy...Now, at the beginning of another year...Now, more than ever, is the time for doing.

So here's to new beginnings and joyful days. Here's to "plowing the field" for real.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for plowing the field, Brooke! You're gonna have the best year ever, I just know it. Wishing you an amazing journey doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete