Monday, April 23, 2012

2012 Fairytale Project: Beauty and the Beast sketches



Monday Greetings!  For April's fairytale illustration I decided to use June's suggestion of Beauty and the Beast

I've had a hard time getting started on this one as I'm not in the habit of drawing beastly characters and I couldn't get the Disney version out of my mind.  But after coming across this illustration by Edmund Dulac, I started to feel free to experiment.  It's fun to be drawing a character that's so different from my usual fare and I'm excited to try a new way of working for the final illustration.  I wonder what will happen.

Also, remember the bat boy photo that was in the tabloids years ago?  I think I must have inadvertently been channeling that when I drew the sketch on the lower left.  Creepy.    

1 comment:

  1. Yay, glad you took up my suggestion. I thought it would challenge you and at the start you expressed a wish to draw characters with a darker side than your usual happy cheery bunch! Good luck, look forward to see kthe process.

    ReplyDelete